Literacy First is based on the concept that without the ability to read well, children will not be able to access the knowledge required to be successful in school OR in life. For that reason, we intend to ensure that our kids are GREAT readers. Some elements of the Literacy First program will include:
- Heavy Emphasis on Reading to Kids
- Early Detection and Intervention of Reading Struggles
- Strong Systematic Sequential Phonics Approach
- Building A Solid Foundation For Life Long Learners
- Considering the rich Core Knowledge curriculum, students at New Summit can read about a great variety of people who have gone before. From Johann Sebastian Bach, Martin Luther, and Michelangelo to Socrates, Susan B. Anthony and Shakespeare, your older students will read about characters from history with unforeseen enjoyment. These remarkable past individuals will become new friends, and heroes to your New Summit students.
- Well Stocked Library With Many Choices
- Reading Buddies
- At New Summit, older students will be reading to emergent readers on an ongoing basis. This advances everyone. The younger students hear what fluent reading sounds like, and the older students have the opportunity to practice their reading aloud. But perhaps the greatest benefit is the long-term relationship that students of differing grades develop over time.
- Guest Readers
- Book Clubs
- When students participate in Book Clubs, they have an opportunity to enjoy a book with others. They can discuss concepts and characters, pick apart plots, and investigate the intricacies of an author’s writing. Reading a book is more fun and engaging with a group of peers!
- Reading Incentives