As parents, we all know some of the basic skills students will learn in kindergarten, such as reading, writing, shapes, and numbers. But there is
Meet Our Administration
Meet: Kim McClelland | Our Principal
Kim McClelland is a native of Colorado Springs and graduated from the University of Northern Colorado with a Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, including an emphasis in Elementary Education. Kim holds a Masters in Education, Leadership and Administration from Jones International University. She has worked as a teacher or principal in all levels of education from Pre-K through High School throughout her career in education with over 20 years of experience in education.
McClelland served as the Executive Director of the Colorado Digital BOCES in Colorado and founded the organization in 2013. Formerly, she served for 4 years as the Zone Superintendent of the iConnect Zone in Falcon district 49 in Colorado Springs, Colorado. She has created and led innovative programs in the state of Colorado that reaches out to all types of high-quality school programs from, Charter schools, homeschool programs, alternative education programs, credit recovery, summer school, and to thriving online and blended learning schools. McClelland has created an opportunity for every student in Colorado to have access to online and blended learning options. Kim serves as the Executive Director/Principal of New Summit Charter Academy.
While serving as the iConnect Zone’s superintendent in District 49, McClelland earned a national award for innovation and transformation in education and has been a speaker for the District Administration Leadership Institute, EdWeek, Colorado Blended, and Online Learning conference, and other districts throughout the country. She has served on a statewide committee to support authorizers for the Colorado league of charter schools and NACSA and served on state-level legislative commissions for online and blended learning. McClelland is a strong proponent for school choice, and online and blended learning recognizing the enormous benefits and providing options for all families and students while preparing students for a successful post-secondary pathway.
Kim’s passion for education and school choice has led her to go back to a school role as an Executive Director and Principal of a charter school at New Summit Charter Academy.
Fun Facts About Our Principal!
- I’m a native of Colorado Springs and graduated from Wasson High School.
- I am married and have two daughters who are in 12th and 9th grade.
- We have two dogs, Gunner and Dexter.
- My daughters have been competitive swimmers for seven years.
- I went to college at the University of Northern Colorado where I met my husband.
- Both of my parents were teachers for 20+ years.
- I’ve been in education since 1997.
- I love to hike with family and friends in beautiful Colorado.
- I love the color Turquoise.
- I love butterflies.
- I love to travel
- Our family enjoys time in Lake Powell every year.
- I enjoy skiing in my husband’s hometown of Steamboat Springs.
- I don’t like to eat cooked spinach, mushrooms, or raw tomatoes.
- I don’t have any favorite foods because, well, I’m not too picky and it’s also hard to pick just one!
Meet: Jenn Reissig | Our Assistant Principal
Jennifer Reissig has lived in Colorado Springs for 34 years. As a student, she attended K-12 in Academy School District 20. She received her B.A. Degree in Social Science with an emphasis in Elementary Education and a Minor in Psychology from the University of Northern Colorado in 2001. Teaching has always been a passion for Jennifer, which led her to teach 1st grade for 3 years at Roosevelt-Edison Charter School and 2nd grade for 9 years at The Classical Academy. Jennifer brings 12 years of experience and involvement in Charter Schools to NSCA.
Fun Facts About Our Assistant Principal!
- I love spending time with my husband, 5 year old daughter and 3 year old son.
- I don’t have a sense of smell.
- At a young age I dreamed of being a teacher.
- I moved to Colorado Springs when I was 5 years old.
- My husband and I were set up on a blind date by one of my student’s parents.
- I enjoy camping and spending quality time with my family and friends.
- Two of my dreams are to go back to Maui and to swim with dolphins.
- My friends describe me as compassionate, intentional and dedicated.
- I love to laugh. Sometimes I laugh so hard I cry.
- I’ve been to Morocco and Germany.
- It has been a joy being a part of building New Summit from the ground up.
Meet: John Coppin | Our Safety/Security Director & Dean of Students
John, a born and raised southern Florida transplant, has called Colorado his home since 1994. After receiving a Bachelor of Science Degree in Criminal Justice he decided it was time to move on and head west. John’s background includes several years, as a firefighter in Broward County Florida, as well as a private investigator in both the State of Florida and the State of Colorado. John also spent nearly 25 years in the insurance industry, as a national catastrophe adjuster with State Farm Insurance, as well as an insurance agent with American Family Insurance. John and his wife, Tina, recently celebrated 21 years of marriage and have an amazing 16-year-old son named Colin. John enjoys all outdoor activities such as hunting, fishing, skiing, snowboarding, metal detecting, camping, RVing, vacationing…and spending time with family and friends.