About New Summit
About Our School:
New Summit is a new non-profit, tuition-free, public charter school in Academy School District D20 serving families with kids ages 4 and up within and around school districts 11, 20, and 49, as well as the Briargate area.
Our school opened grades K-6 on August 22, 2018, with over 500 students. Next year, we will be opening grade 7, followed by the year after with grade 8. After that, we plan on applying for a high school to be added on to our current school. The Xfinity Center next door is our school gym as well as a place for students to play sports.
New Summit Charter Academy also offers preschool through Diakonia Preschools for children ages 3-5 to help with Kindergarten readiness. Both Full-Day and Half-Day Kindergarten is offered for parents who want this choice for their child along with Before and After School Care to help working families.
What is New Summit Like?
- We provide both full and part-time Kindergarten.
- We partner with a third party childcare center to provide before and after school care for students. This runs from 6:30 am to 6:30 pm.
- We have limited class sizes including 25 or less students in grades 2nd through 6th, 22 students in first grade, and 20 or less students in Kindergarten.
- Student wear uniforms so the focus is on enjoying a community of learning without distractions from prevailing fashions.
- We keep a respectful and friendly atmosphere and are physically and emotionally safe.
- We provide character education for our staff, students, and their families.
- Our emphasis is on love of learning.
- We highly encourage and welcome parent involvement. We do ask that parents complete 25 volunteer hours per semester at our school.
- We are academically strong.
- We provide skill level grouping for students who are gifted in math and reading.
- We believe in educating the whole child including their minds, bodies, hearts, and souls.
To build a safe educational community that emphasizes a love of learning, and inspires and empowers students to reach New Summits.
This is non-negotiable or guiding principles that determine the way we conduct ourselves and make decisions.
- Respect: Treat others as you want to be treated.
- Responsibility: Knowing it is only ourselves who can get us to where we want to be.
- Achievement: Striving to accomplish your goal while elevating your standards.
- Perseverance: Never give up always work hard.
- Teamwork: Help others; when one succeeds we all succeed.
- Enthusiasm: Ignites excitement our passions and motivation to achieve greatness.
New Summit Charter Academy Belief Statements:
Written by the New Summit Charter Board in 2016
- We Believe: That the parents are primarily responsible for the education of the child and that public schools are responsible to give viable choices to parents to assist in that endeavor.
- We Believe: That all children are able to learn, and deserve a positive caring environment to do it in, regardless of race, creed, color or religion.
- We Believe: That success in education comes from raising what is expected of students, parent, and schools, not lowering it.
- We Believe: That early detection and remedy of learning difficulties is ultimately more cost effective and provides the best hope of success for children.
- We Believe: The ability to read and understand the English language is fundamental to success in our modern society.
- We Believe: That a sound knowledge of science and mathematics is essential to maintaining and restoring America’s place in the world as innovator and inventor and instilling this in children is the best possible defense against economic decay in our country.
- We Believe: That a lifelong pursuit of knowledge is crucial to success in this rapidly changing world that we live in, and that teaching children to love to learn is critical to causing that to happen.
- We Believe: That parents economic circumstances should not preclude the ability to choose high-quality education for their children.