Read With Me: 2 Summer Literacy Programs for Students At New Summit Charter Academy, Literacy First is the pillar of our school. That’s why we
Character Trait: Integrity
Star Student Program
Our STAR student program is a program where each month ONE student from each class will be recognized as the student who has done an exemplary job of displaying the character trait of the month! Each character trait chosen is from the Character Education Program (Capturing Kids Hearts) that is a part of our curriculum.
Character Trait of the Month:
Integrity is the reason that we make the decisions that we do. Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else is looking. Integrity is doing the right thing even when you will not be noticed or recognized. Integrity is making the decision to do what is right and be a person who stands up for what is right. Integrity is being willing to tell others what they are doing is not right even when they may not agree with you.
Are YOU as an adult a person of integrity? You can only expect your students to live from a place of integrity if you are a person of integrity. They are watching you and look up to you as role models even when you don’t think they see and hear you. Your students cannot rise above the constraints you as a teacher have. Integrity is a wonderful place to continually return our focus to.
Children are not born with integrity or the behaviors we associate with it, including humility, social responsibility, and the courage to stand up for what they believe is right. It is derived through a process of cultural socialization—influences from all spheres of a child’s life.
Integrity Answers the Questions:
- What are my values and how do I show them in my everyday choices?
- What does it mean to do the right thing when no one else is looking?
- What would motivate us to do the right thing even when we are not recognized for it? Why would you want to show integrity without a reward for it?
- Who do you know that is a person of integrity? How do you know that?
- What does it look like to stand up for what is right even when others disagree or are doing the wrong thing?
INTEGRITY IS DISPLAYED WHEN:
- You choose what is right even when you are not being watched
- Being willing to stand up for what is right even when it isn’t a popular opinion
- Willingness to confront people who are not doing the right thing
- Doing the right thing even when you won’t be recognized for it
- Choosing relationships with other people who show integrity
- Not talking behind other people’s back – address people to their face
- You are respectful even when you disagree with someone
- You make attempts to understand someone rather than judge them
- You hold yourself accountable rather than make excuses when you for your behavior
Further Action, Exploration, and Discussion:
- If people who know you were asked to describe you in 5 words, would integrity be one of them?
- Trustworthiness and Integrity are related. How so? What are the differences and similarities between the two?
- What does it look like to show integrity at home, school, on the playground, etc.?
- What is a random act of kindness? How can we at class show them throughout the school?
- What is one thing you can do this week to show integrity at home?
For 1st &-2nd Graders:
For K-2nd Graders
For K-3rd Graders
For All Grades:
For 4th-6th Graders