We all have feelings and emotions! It is part of what makes us human! Summer is a great opportunity for parents to continue working with
Character Trait: Purpose
Star Student Program
Our STAR student program is a program where each month ONE student from each class will be recognized as the student who has done an exemplary job of displaying the character trait of the month! Each character trait chosen is from the Character Education Program (Capturing Kids Hearts) that is a part of our curriculum.
Character Trait of the Month:
Purpose is our reason why. It is the reason that we make the decisions that we do. Purpose is the motivation behind the choices that we make. Purpose is the feeling of being determined to do or achieve something. Purpose is the aim or goal behind everything that we do.
Purpose is a difficult concept for adults sometimes and even more so it is difficult for kids. It can often be misconstrued and that is why it is so important for us to focus on it. If kids do not find purpose in their lives and being then they can become hopeless and despondent. At New Summit, we want each of our students to live a life of hope, courage, and with an ability to thrive.
Purpose Answers the Questions:
- Why do I make the choices that I make?
- What is the reason behind the decisions I make?
- How do I determine which option to take?
- How do I want to live my life and why?
- What makes my day worth it?
- What gives meaning to each day?
- What is my reason to learn in school every day?
- What makes me feel like my effort is worth it?
- Have you ever wondered what your purpose in life is? Explain.
YOUR IDENTITY IS DISPLAYED IN:
- The values you hold
- The activities that are your hobbies
- The relationships you develop
- The choices you make
- The dreams you pursue
You Can Seek Your Purpose by:
- The actions you choose.
- The words you use
- The things you stand up for
- The way you treat others
- The people you choose to be friends with
- The things you take responsibility for
For K-2nd Graders:
For 3rd-6th Graders
For 3rd-6th Graders
Topics for Discussion:
- What brings you the most joy?
- What hobbies do you enjoy? What might that mean about your purpose?
- Why would it be okay and even necessary for others to have a different purpose than your own?
- What does purpose mean to you? How do you go about finding your purpose in life?
- What brings meaning to your daily activities?
- What does it mean to value something? What are your values?
You can develop more purpose by:
- Being patient with yourself as you learn what brings you happiness and meaning.
- Knowing that our understanding of purpose changes over time.
- Being willing to consistently grow in your understanding of what your purpose is.
- Knowing that others will pursue a different purpose than you and that is okay.
- Being willing to try new things, new ideas, and new activities.
- Making attempts to learn about others, what they value, and why they choose the way they do.
For 4th-6th Graders
For 5th-6th Graders