Character Trait: Respect
Star Student Program
Our STAR student program is a program where each month ONE student from each class will be recognized as the student who has done an exemplary job of displaying the character trait of the month! Each character trait chosen is from the Character Education Program (Capturing Kids Hearts) that is a part of our curriculum.
Character Trait of the Month:
This month’s character trait is RESPECT.
Respect Means: Treating those around you the way that you want to be treated.
Showing respect for others is one of the most important values in the world. It means showing care for another person or thing, like the environment. Without respect, everything around you would be less peaceful. There would be more problems and less happiness.
You show respect in many ways every day that you may not even realize! Being respectful is one of the key ingredients to being the best person you can be.
Respect occurs when you:
- Listen to others
- Play Fair
- Use good manners
- Wait your turn
- Compliment someone
- Pick up after yourself
- Follow Directions
- Speak nicely to and about others
Topics for Discussion:
- In what ways do you treat people with respect? Are there any ways in which you don’t?
- What happens when people are treated with respect? How about when they are not treated with respect?
- Who is the most respectful person you know? What makes them that way?
- What is something you can do to show more respect?
- When have you felt respected in the classroom or at home (give a specific example)?
- When have you seen someone else be respectful in the classroom or at home (give a specific example)?
You can show respect every moment of everyday by doing things like:
- Practicing the Golden Rule.
- Practicing Random Acts of Kindness.
- Saying “please” and “thank you” and “excuse me”
- Making a point of not teasing and encourage your friends not to.
- Being patient with yourself and others when a mistake is made.
- Discussing with your parents what good manners are.
- Practicing good table manners.
- Making an effort not to gossip or talk about others in a negative way.
- Being courteous toward everyone.