It’s the beginning of summer break and we know that many parents look for good summer reading lists for their little ones. While there are many many great books out there for kids to read here are some great suggestions from E.D. Hirsch‘s Core Knowledge Curriculum. We hope your kids find this list to be a great start to their summer!
Note: I may earn money or products from the companies, products, or links mentioned in this post.
K-6 Summer Reading List
Kindergarten & First Grade Summer Reading List:
- Nursery Rhymes (maybe 3-4 of each)
- Aesop’s Fables to their children.
- Frog and Toad Series
- The Amelia Bedelia Books
- The Berenstein Bears
- Any of the “Bright and Early” Books
- Any Dr. Seuss Books
Second Grade Summer Reading List:
The following books can either be read to the students or the students can read them by themselves.
- The House at Pooh Corner From the Winnie the Pooh Series
- Anansi Stories (folktales from West Africa)
- Jack and the Beanstalk
- The Complete Tales of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter
- The Magic Tree House Series
- The Boxcar Children Series.
Third Grade Summer Reading List:
- Beauty and the Beast
- Charlotte’s Web by E. B. White
- The Emperor’s New Clothes by Hans Christian Andersen
- Peter Pan by James M. Barrie
- The Tongue-Cut Sparrow (A Folktale From Japan)
- Any stories about Greek Mythology (at their reading level)
- Beverly Cleary’s Ramona Series.
Fourth Grade Summer Reading List:
- Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
- Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
- The Complete Adventures of The Borrowers by Mary Norton
- Percy Jackson and The Olympians by Rick Riordan
Fifth Grade Summer Reading List:
- Pollyanna by Eleanor Porter
- Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
- Gulliver’s Travels by Jonathan Swift
- James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
Sixth Grade Summer Reading List:
- Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass
- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- Old Yeller by Fred Gipson
- Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls